Friday, April 21, 2006

World First - Xbox Game Live Centre Dublin, Ireland

I was wandering down South William St, Dublin this evening and was intregued to see a life size soldier from Halo peering out of a Georgian window at me. Curiosity got the better of me and I entered the Georgian facade, only to be greeted with what looked like an very ordinary Xbox Live Shop, apart form the life size soldier that is.... Plasma screens and Xbox 360 products were on Display, I really thought it was some kind of marketing ploy by Microsoft, or at the very least designed for Retailers to come learn about the Xbox 360... not so.

I was greeted by friendly staff and asked if I'd like a tour! My curiosity not satisfied I accepted the offer and I entered the Worlds First Xbox Live Gaming Centre (center if you are from Nth America!) ah but there is a gaming centre near my you say, yes but is it authorised(authorized) by Microsoft, no! thought not, This is and thats what makes it a world first.

Past the Retail counter you are greeted by a salon like atmosphere. Each "Booth" has a leather chair, XBOX 360 and LCD screen At the end there is a VIP area with 4 even bigger screens and available for party hire. Stag nights will never be the same again Upstairs is a mix of more Xbox 360 and Old school Xboxs. There were about a dozen Combatants in Halo 2 doing online battle with the Alien Hoard. You can pick any Xbox game and either play single player, Networked in the Centre or play online, globally Xbox Live...

I was a little stunned that this was all happing in Dublin, Yes the Software capital of Europe but sill, not Tokyo, San Fran or NYC. In fact Microsoft European HQ is in Dublin, Did that prompt their support for the Venture ? Anyway not having experienced Xbox 360 before , I opted to take a spin on GSR 3, Gotham Street Racer3, familiar Terriroty stretching back to the dreamcast! I was very impressed with the graphics etc but this review is not about the game but about the Worlds First Xbox Live gaming Centre authorised by Microsoft.

I think the gaming arcade for the 21st centenary is a great idea and bags of potential, Spend a few quid while the Mrs is shopping and while away the hours, Cheaper than the flicks(Cinema/theatre) and perfecting the art of escapism. At the very least you can really try out a new game , Xbox Live and decide, Do i really need to upgrade to an LCD!

No comments: